Friday, May 21, 2010

Week 38: L

LICE, FLIED:  Mystery solved! Do you know why the Japanese say "flied lice" and "Debola" and "happiry"? Because they don't have a sound in their language that sounds like an L or an R. Instead, they have a sound that falls somewhere between L and R. Therefore, they can't hear the difference. Here's a flog:


LEGGINGS, black. THE must-have item for university girls. (That and striped shirts, flowered skirts, and polka dot sneakers ... all frequently worn in the same outfit.)


Keep to the LEFT: The Japanese drive on the left side of the road. Crossing streets isn't a problem since everything is so regulated by crossing lights that you don't even have to look for oncoming traffic because they would never dare to go on a red, but I have been having problems with bicycles on the sidewalk. I'll hear a bell ringing behind me, and I freeze in panic. Then I have to think... move to the LEFT.  I've started carrying my keys in my left hand so it will be a reminder which way to step. Same problem with going up and down stairways, passing people in hallways, going up escalators, etc.

1 comment:

  1. loving your japanese posts! especially the take-a-shit-a!

    ReplyDelete