Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Final Week: Z

I've been back from my 11-month adventure for a few weeks now, and I've had time to reflect on what I've learned.

1. Whether you worry about it or not, things tend to work out in the end.
2. In the summer, the weather in Alaska is much better than the weather in Japan or Kansas.


3. How lucky am I to have English as my native language! It not only helped me get employment all over the world, but also helped me communicate in airports throughout the globe.
4. Italy is still the most beautiful country I've ever been to.


5. You can never have enough ZIPLOC bags when you travel.
6. Even though they had explicit instructions not to do so, your nephews will grow taller than you when you are away.
7. As long as you can eat noodles or rice, you can travel almost anywhere.
8. One positive experience with a local makes up for five negative experiences (so be nice to tourists!).
9. The Internet (Skype, Facebook, Hulu, online billpaying, etc.) makes living abroad so much easier than it was 20+ years ago when I first went to Italy, but it is still necessary to have a worthy secretary at home. (Thanks, secretary....and I still owe you that lunch!)
10. We are more alike than we are different.
11. Austrian Air has ridiculous baggage restrictions and fees.
12. There's no place like home ... especially when ZINNIAS are greeting you in the garden.


There it is: A-Z twice over. Thanks for letting me share my year with you!

3 comments:

  1. You are done!! I have loved reading about your year and learning so much about the cultures and countries you have visited. I really enjoyed your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss reading your blog almost as much as I miss you being here.

    I am jealous of your ability to write such great posts and actually keep up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. It sounds like you've had an incredible past 11 months. I liked what you learned--they all made sense. :>)

    ReplyDelete