Friday, January 8, 2010

Week 19: S

Naturally, I was tempted to present you all with a photo essay of the many globules of SPIT that I see on the sidewalks as I walk to school or the lovely SQUAT toilets in the school or the SLUDGE that is composed of who-(wants to)-knows-what on a market street near the school or the dog S... well, you get the theme....  However, I've decided to look up rather than down and see what else is on display.

STATUES and SKYSCRAPERS. To celebrate the fact that Beijing was awarded the Olympic games, Dalian commissioned statues of Olympic sports all throughout Xinghai Square.




Most Chinese are actually pretty conservative in their dress and manners (the women's bathing suits look like they come out of an Annette Funicello movie), so I was a little surprised by this statue dominating Xinghai Park.



I took advantage of the balmy 23 degrees to take a walk today, and came across a giant indoor food market. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, or I would have taken a picture of the giant row of SEA URCHINS and SPICES for sale. When I saw this bag of SUGAR in the market, I was hoping that they would be like STARBURSTS. Once I read on the package that they were "sandwich juice," I knew they had to be good.



Verdict: Yip, just like stale Starbursts.

STREET FOOD: In our orientation, they told us not to eat street food the night before we had to teach, because we would invariably become sick. For some reason, this turned me off of the idea of street food entirely, but it sure smells and looks good when I walk down the street.



SENIORS: I love how active the seniors are. Of the adults accompanying the children to our school, I would say at least half of them are grandmothers and -- most adorably -- grandfathers. Here's another park scene with some seniors. (Oh, and since I'm quickly approaching seniordom, I have a story to confirm what many of us suspect. My 23-year-old roommate just went to a job interview and they told her, "We're so happy you applied. We were looking for someone younger.")



No comments:

Post a Comment