Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Week 20: T

TELEMARKETERS: I just got a call from a Chinese telemarketer. How great that the phrase "I don't speak Chinese" actually helped me out today!

TAXI: Taxis are a dime-a-dozen here, and almost cost that much. When I'm feeling lazy, the ride from my apartment to school (which is about a 35-minute walk) costs 8 RMB, or $1.  Almost all the taxis in town are VW Jettas.

TRASH: There is a lot of trash heaped up on corners and on the streets, but because Dalian is the cleanest city in China, there are also cadres of trash cleaners. And, yes, they all use brooms like this one. 



TURTLES: The very first thing you see when you walk through the supermarket are the live turtles in a tank. (The next display is pig lungs. I wonder why I don't have much of an appetite going through the market.)

TREES in a park in winter:


3 comments:

  1. Love the bent trees and the witchy brooms (just like the street sweepers in Italy!).
    I really wanted more pictures of trash, though. Maybe you could follow the sweepers around...?
    (p.s. Email me where the Hodgepodge House is, OK? I want to show it to Steve.)
    Porca miseria--hai quasi finito l'alfabeto! E dopo? Bacioni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rincoglionita...I figured that you would comment that the brooms are more effective when they are turned around the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oddly enough i didn't pick up that the broom was upside down until you mentioned it. btw, i finally went to the treasure chest on missouri!

    ReplyDelete