Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Things I've Eaten

Well, I know that it is a value-loaded statement to say "strange" things I've eaten, so here are some things that I've eaten in China that I had never thought that I would ever eat:

Pig heart
Conch -- the snail-like substances in the conch shell
Jellyfish
Cicadas -- in a tangy marinade. Not bad, until you feel the little feet tickling your tongue
Squid on a stick
Ox tongue
Chicken necks
Copious amounts of seaweed -- Seaweed is one thing, but the cook at our school makes A LOT of seaweed dishes
Stinky tofu

DUCK NIGHT
boiled duck feet
duck intestines
duck heart
and, yes, four little duck tongues

All pretty tame compared to the things I've seen on menus and in the market.

I know I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth and I really do appreciate the free lunch, but this is a sample of the meals we get at the school. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment