Monday, February 1, 2010

Week 23: W

WALL, the Great: Did I mention that I visited the Great WALL when I was in Beijing? Truly a WONDER of the WORLD.


WHITE: Being white is much desired here (take that, Alex, for mocking my paleness before I left). The beauty stores have entire aisles dedicated to whitening creams. They tell me that the ingredients in the most effective ones come from birds' nests. When I first arrived I kept thinking that it was going to rain, because all the girls took their umbrellas (see: parasols) to go out in the sun.

The quest for white, alas, does not extend to one's teeth. I'm so perplexed by the students who attend our expensive supplemental English classes yet when they open their mouths, they have rotting teeth.

WET TURBAN: As everyone knows, before eating on an airplane, you sometimes want to clean your hands with a wet turban.

Why, you ask, would an airline provide such a lovely wet turban to its customers? Here's why, of course:


"Carring because of the love" is my new favorite slogan.

WIND: The Siberian wind sweeping down from the North and picking up power over the water was one of my least favorite surprises in Dalian.

WEDDING PHOTOS (not mine!!): Wedding photos are quite the industry here. Brides and grooms have their pictures taken months, sometimes years, before the wedding -- all in special complexes that do your hair and make-up and rent extravagant costumes and props that range from everything from traditional Chinese gear to Rhett Butler and Scarlett on a coach. Did I say the bride and groom take the pictures? I meant anyone and everyone does ... I guess having your picture taken on the beach is quite the exciting date activity. We walked near a popular beach for wedding photos this fall and saw eleven different couples frolicking in the surf for the perfect shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment