Friday, October 23, 2009

Chinese: Technology to the rescue!

Well, my Chinese hasn't improved at all, but I'm finding new ways to communicate.

Cameras: Last month was National Teacher's Day (what a great country!) and the school kindly gave all the teachers shampoo and conditioner sets. The problem, of course, is that I didn't know which was the shampoo and which the conditioner. So, I had to bring this picture into school and have one of the Chinese teachers read the bottles for me.


Texting: Last Saturday morning around 7:00 my roommate and I received text messages. It was our manager with the following message "Hi, teachers. Today is colder than yesterday. Dress a warm jacket, maybe better." How sweet is that? In the future I'll have to make sure that my supervisors have my cell number so that I can get clothing advice.


Cell phones: Last night--Dad, don't read this--I was in a car with a stranger. I had just had a private lesson with him, and the school asked him if he could take me home. The problem, we have discovered over the past few weeks, is that there are two parts of town that sound like my street. They've told us that we have to tell taxi drivers Taoshan and not Taoshan. (Yes, that is the same exact word, so it makes things a little confusing.) Anyway, he started going to the other Taoshan and so I had to call a Chinese teacher and she had to tell him where to go. Amazingly, she wasn't concerned when I called her and said, "Lily, I need you to tell this man where I live." When he got me home, he said, "I'm so reviled." I'm pretty sure he meant relieved!


Sometimes, you don't need technology. We've decided to only eat in restaurants with picture menus. Or, the other night, I tried another strategy. I walked up to a table where a man was eating a great-looking noodle soup and I said, "one!" Very "me...Tarzan, you...Jane" but it worked! And... you know what else? if you get up and start to leave a restaurant without paying you don't even need to learn how to say, "Please bring me the check." They will automatically take care of you!

2 comments:

  1. Now, Debra, there's a HUGE difference in texture between shampoo & conditioner! HUGE! And one lathers, while the other doesn't. Or does the difference in water hardness matter? Also, shampoo is usually pearlescent, while conditioner is usually creamy. Ah, well, enough deconstruction of hair products....

    Sounds like you've figured out ways to have a quicker meal, too. Handy. Do you know the word for "two," just in case you're very hungry, or you really like what you're having?

    Dress a warm jacket! You'll be reviled! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a point. But when your shower is a drain in the corner of the bathroom, you don't want to spend too much time figuring it out.

    ReplyDelete