Thursday, October 1, 2009

Week 1: A


ARRIVAL in China: I knew that life was going to be different for the next six months when they served us Cup of Noodles as a snack on the airplane! After safely passing through the two H1N1 virus screeners, I was officially welcomed into the country.

AIRPORT in Beijing: The airport is a showcase. Huge, streamlined and sparking clean. It's a little odd to be sitting across from a TCBY and a Hugo Boss store while, at the same time, not being able to decipher any signs.

APARTMENT complexes: In a city of 6 million people, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the rows and rows and rows of apartment complexes. There don't seem to be any zoning rules. So, on our block we have a liquor store with no entrance--just a walk-up window--a travel agency, and a welding workshop. Across the way someone is raising roosters and chickens on her terrace. This is a picture of my street. good ol' Taoshan Jie.

No comments:

Post a Comment