Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Week 13: M

MARINA: A beautiful marina on the Yellow Sea. This marina is near Xinghai Square, a few blocks of land which, I've been told, is one of the most prestigious addresses in all of China.

MOONCAKES: Mooncakes are the traditional sweet of the Mid-Autumn festival (October 3). The stuffing can either be sweet or savory. A bit like our fruitcake -- everyone buys them and some are more elaborate and expensive than others--but not many people seem to like them. In the grocery stores beautiful women dressed up in long, red dresses and stood next to displays to sell them. I thought they were okay, a little dry, but okay (the mooncakes, not the women). Better than panettone.


MANDARIN oranges: I was amazed that Mandarin oranges were so plentiful and cheap until finally one day it hit me...duh...Mandarin oranges in Mandarin China. No wonder they are so cheap and plentiful.

MARKETS: There are open markets throughout the city. This one is about two minutes away from my house. If you look closely at the table in the middle part of the picture, you'll see a MAHJONGG board. I was so pleased the first time I saw a group of seniors playing mah jongg outside my apartment.


MAO! Mao is on all of the bills in China. The largest bill is 100 RMB (about $14). Since they pay us in cash, you can imagine the bulging envelopes that we get every month. It makes us feel ridiculously wealthy. I'm off to see the real Mao tomorrow as I head off for 5 days in Beijing. Bon voyage to me!


1 comment:

  1. The fruit looks so yummy. At least I know there are several things you can eat - if you can just communicate with the vendors well enough to buy it!

    ReplyDelete