Thursday, December 17, 2009

Week 16: P



PAVILLIONS: Can't get enough of the pavillions in the PARKS.

PANDA, Red: We did see a giant panda on our trip to the zoo, but it was a bit of a disappointment. It was just a big lump, sleeping in the corner of the cage, behind dirty glass. These guys, on the other hand, were thoroughly enjoying the fall weather.



PINYIN: For the people who were asking me how the Chinese use keyboards or send text messages, the answer is pinyin. Pinyin is a system used to write out Chinese in Romanized letters. They type in the word in Pinyin, and the computer gives them the option of several different characters. (Due to the tones and other factors, ni, for example, can be about 8 different characters.) I read somewhere that by using this system the fastest typist can only type about 30 wpm. Unfortunately, Pinyin was developed by two Russians transcribing in Cyrillic, so it just adds an extra layer of confusion for English speakers. Pinyin is the reason why the Zhu Zhuo hamsters that are all the rage this Christmas should be pronounced Jew-Jow.



PEDESTRIAN: As far as I can tell, pedestrians have no rights in China. I will try to cross the street in a pedestrian zone, with the little green man walking, and cars and busses still try to run me over. I used to try to cross with old people, thinking that they respect the elderly in China, but I was soon disabused of that notion. My new strategy is children. Cars actually slow down when a baby or child is trying to cross the street.

PEKING OPERA: Here is one of the performers preparing for the night's show. I enjoyed the costumes, and the acting, and the dancing of the Peking opera, but--Wow!--the singing style made my ears bleed. Made me race home and listen to some Verdi.


1 comment:

  1. I don't see how my frozen, aged brain could ever learn Chinese--any form of it. You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.
    Earplugs to the opera. Then Verdi.

    ReplyDelete