Friday, March 26, 2010

Week 30: D

D is a little random this week.

Of course, there is the DUOMO in Milan.


Then, there is the greatest author, living or dead, of all time periods, of the East or the West: DANTE.


I so regret that I didn't take pictures of all the DOLCI that I ate in Naples, but when I first arrived I had no idea how famous Naples was for its sweets, nor how many of them I would eat in the span of three days. Neverthless, the cream-filled sfogliatelle were melt-in-your-mouth delicious, as was the zeppola, a specialty for father's day. The biggest surprise was the baba'. It was described to me as soft inside, and from the looks of it, I was expecting something like angel food cake. Well, I took a bite and -- SURPRISE! -- it is a soft cake infused with rum. Now, that is the way to start your morning -- rum cake and espresso. No wonder I liked Naples so much! 

In lieu of a picture of the DOLCI, here is something that Naples is even more famous for, its pizza.  This is my favorite, a pizza quattro stagioni (artichokes, prosciutto, mozzarella cheese, and mushrooms). And, yes, this pizza is for one person.



One other note: Naples is also known for its fried antipasti. Try this one when you need some comfort food: fried balls of macaroni. Just a little rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment