Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Week 31: E

Le ELEZIONI.  Sunday and Monday the elections for regional posts were held.  64% of the population voted, which is actually a huge decline from earlier years when over 90% of the population used to vote.  Voting here is not easy. Look at the choice of political parties (appearing on the bottom row of the poster):


On the other hand, at least in this small town, voting is a nice social event. You go to mass on Sunday morning, and when mass is over you cross the piazza and go vote in the school. On the way, you get to greet some neighbors that you haven't seen for awhile.

I was amazed when I came across this campaign literature for the Lega Nord. Yes, this is a far-right political party, but I wouldn't call them fringe by any means.  I can't see this artwork flying in the U.S. Can you? (Work must stay here! Enough with production in China and Turkey! With us, work remains in Piemonte! We are the only ones who side with the people!) 


I don't think I've seen these types of caricatures since World War II-era propaganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment